Time: 29.02.2020 @ 3pm
Location: Sàn Art
132 Bến Vân Đồn, Ward 6, District 4,
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
(enter from Nguyen Huu Hao side)
In this 3-part talk and workshop focused on queer experimental video and mainstream visual cultures, we collectively examine and discuss:
– Artistic responses to structural violence
– Queer Asian and Asian American artists & the Limits/ “Sticking Points” of mainstream (LGBTQIA+) identity politics
– Strategies for being a Queer Killkoy every day.
1. Queer Exchange
– What does it mean to build community in light of structural violence?
– How do you frame your creative practice in relationship to other creative and critical conversations
– How is class, race, gender tied to queer politics?
2. Sticky Rice & Sticking Points (Queer Asian/ American Strategies)
– Screenings and discussions of “Sticky Rice” artists
– Critiques & Limits of LGBTQIA+ movements (“Sticking Points”)
3. Queer Killjoy workshop
– Are you a Queer Killjoy? (building off Sara Ahmed, Jan Bernabe, Alyson Mitchell’s work)
– Exorcising the Ghosts Pop Culture (& why it matters)