Location: Sàn Art
Unit B6.17 & B6.16
132 Bến Vân Đồn, Ward 6, District 4,
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
(enter from Nguyen Huu Hao side)
The discussion is moderated by Weston Teruya
The session covers questions around ways of defining and operating as an art collective, including:
- What is a collective practice? Is it an organizational mechanism/platform to present members’ (or others’) individual practices? How does it differ from an unofficial NGO/non-profit? Is it a direct studio collaboration? Are collective projects distinct from individual practices? Are they distinct from short (or long term) collaborative projects?
- What is the context for the formation of collectives? Why are they necessary? Is this work in dialogue with other collectives? With particular communities? Is there an inherent sociopolitical facet to the work of a collective? If so, how does that impact the way you work and the content of your projects?
- In our current moment, are there particular dynamics that make collective work even more urgent or challenging?
- How do you work together? This is both a mechanical question (how are decisions made? How do you produce work/projects?) and a social question (how do you negotiate interpersonal dynamics, tensions, and distance?)
- What is the lifecycle of a collective? When is it no longer useful to continue working together?